What We’re Doing
With our kids old enough to remember the trip, but not yet teenagers, we saw this year as the perfect window of opportunity to fulfill a lifetime dream and see America.
We’re going to take an entire year and live differently. In short, we’re giving up.
- We’re giving up many of our luxuries—my secure job, our 2700-square-foot house on a quarter acre lot, our easy access to food, entertainment, and convenience.
- We’re giving up Netflix and Xbox and broadcast TV.
- We had a record household income last year. We’re giving that up, too.
We’re smashing our carbon footprint without mercy.
We’re moving into a recreational vehicle, a nice quality Forest River Rockwood Windjammer 3006WK, hitching up to a Dodge Ram 3500 dually 4×4, and embarking on the adventure of a lifetime.
But we’re also gaining.
- We’re gaining a full year of living memorably. A lifetime of memories. A new adventure, every day.
- We’re gaining a better understanding of America, of the world around us, of what really matters, and of what doesn’t.
- We’re gaining time to be bored, and time to write, and time to reflect, and time to think.
We are being courageous because when we saw this limited time opportunity, we realized that at this time in our lives, that’s what we need to be.
And maybe, just maybe, when we’re done with this chapter, some of that courage to live differently will stick with us…providing us with the courage to give up and gain no matter where we end up.